Sunday, January 5, 2014

And The Answer Is....


Well I'm not so sure about the shoe or the perm.

But I do know that's ex husband #2 on the left and soon to be #3 on the right.

Talk about one big happy family.

And I'm pretty sure my then friend and hairdresser Linda, who looked so much like me we were often mistaken for one another in the bars, took the picture.

So, I'm betting she had come to do my hair and stayed to join the party.

I love the 80's.

Through all the hair styles, colors and let's just say it, relationships, I had one constant in my life, my BF Ian.

We met in a restaurant where I was a sous chef and he was waiting tables while going to law school.

The minute he sauntered into the kitchen and turned those electric blue eyes my way, I was a goner.

I fed him anything he wanted when ever he wanted it, and he wanted food all the time. Expensive food, it's a wonder I kept my job.

In turn he persuaded his partner Larry to include me and _____ in their vacation plans. Summers on Nantucket or Fire island, Christmas in Palm Springs or San Francisco once Ian moved there.

My company was always what he asked for as a present.

We could talk Ian and I. And laugh. Then talk some more. No one has ever made me laugh as much, or as often.

Here we are on Fire Island, July 1989.




Every year in July we arrived at the old farmhouse to celebrate Larry's birthday. I would bring via car, ferry and a little red wagon, a box of roses, each year adding another.

Ian would bring himself. And we had a big old party.

There was feasting, swimming, and music. And pies. There were always pies.

In the mid 90's the shining star that was Ian was extinguished.

Larry and I continue on. Fire Island, Italy, NYC, hell he even comes to Virginia.

We hold each others' history in our hearts.

And know you know a bit more of mine.

Thanks for bearing with me as I ventured down memory lane.

Next post I'll return to 2014. Promise.

xo J


















21 comments:

  1. I'm loving your history! Thanks for sharing, you look great in all these photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am LOVING your history. How do you go from the Wild Life to domestic bliss as a florist? So interesting. Thank you very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Lisa,thank you for reading along. And that's a damn good question. Given enough rope we can pull ourselves in any direction....

      Delete
  3. Jane, thank you for sharing an important part of your life. What wonderful friends you have. How do you feel thinking back? Christa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to remember all the important people in my life.....nice to have a venue to think it out.

      Delete
  4. Maybe I saw you on Fire Island--I was there that summer. It's one of my favorite places.

    You have such strong, deep and interesting friendships. I'm sorry about Ian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my heart land, Fire Island.

      It's so nice to be able to talk about him here.

      If he were still alive he would have wanted me to talk about him much more often.

      Delete
  5. No rush to get back to 2014 - it's so good to be included in your stroll down memory lane, and to hear you talk with such openness and sensitivity about your life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to be able to go with such a nice bunch of people.

      I still want to see that picture of you though.....

      Delete
  6. I used the phrase "listening to life" in my post the other day. I think that speaks to what you are doing through your photos and memories. Listening to your life...your history, your choices, your gains and losses. It is a very good thing to do. Keep listening and sharing. We are here when you need us. So very sorry about Ian...Susan xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. and what a beautiful way to put it.xo

      Delete
  7. What wonderful memories and friendships. I'm loving these pictures and stories, so sad all the extinguished lights in those times, yet I can still love the 80's too regardless of the hair choices. Went from girl to woman, lots of fun in the process. Two things, you were married 3 times ????? What's your natural hair color? (You may choose to lie) XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was. Always a bride. My natural hair color came to be in the 90's maybe....when I became the blonde I was always meant to be :-))

      Delete
  8. Oh, Jane... I've missed you. You've had more lives than a cat and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That photo is a painting: that light! You have a gift for friendships, dear Jane.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was beautiful. Again, thank you for letting us in x

    ReplyDelete
  11. We only get about 1.6 of those friends in our lives... and you have two! wonderful.

    ReplyDelete