In my sultriest Katy Perry voice I am happy to tell you:
I baked a cake.
And I liked it.
It's not what I'm used to.
Sophie, formerly known as
She converted metric to US standard and wrote little helpful notes such as " Don't forget to grease the pan and to put a little bit of flour in order not to make it sticky".
She patiently answered my Viber text requesting what size baking pan to use and immediately posted on my IG cake picture "perfect".
I want you all to know the last cake I baked looked like an apple pizza so I'm thrilled with this.
Not only is it easy to make, it's delicious to eat and it's seasonal.
So get going!
Sophie's cake: ( as written)
150g-3/4 cup sugar
150g-1+ 1/4 cup flour
1+1/4 teaspoon baking powder
150g- 1/2 cup+2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons of orange juice ( I used blood orange)
50g-1/4 cup of sugar
Preheat over to 350.
* In a bowl mix the eggs and the sugar until it turns into a light yellow color.
*Add the flour and the baking powder
* Melt the butter in the microwave (around 1 minute 30/ 2 minutes). Pour into mixing bowl. Mix well.
* Zest your clementines and add it to the preparation then add the juice of the clementines. Mix well.
*Pour the mixture into a cake pan. ( she uses a 24cm round cake pan, at her suggestion I used a 9.5inch pan) (remember her earlier instructions about greasing and flouring pan.
*Put in the oven for 35 minutes
* While it is baking, prepare the syrup by mixing the sugar the juice of the 3 clementines and the orange juice in a saucepan on medium heat.
Mix constantly stirring 5 to 10 minutes, until it gets syrupy.
* When the cake is done, pull it out of the oven and pour the syrup over it immediately.
Let it cool before unmoulding it.
*Decorate with wedges of clementines if you have any left
From my lips to your ears: Ooh la la.
Merci Mademoiselle. xoxo
Update: in my excitement I deleted the 3 clementines that go in the cake batter itself. These 3 are zested, yes this is the peel, and then the juice is added to the batter.
The other 3 clementines go in the syrup.