Sunday, January 4, 2015

The Good, The Bad And The Playoffs

I have an hour to calm down from the heartbreaking loss of the Detroit Lions to the Dallas Cowboys and get in a proper mood for season 5 of Downton Abbey.

Well, heartbreaking if you're A Michigangster, and that I am.

So,deep breath Jane. And thanks Susan for all the text. They helped until I text " Jesus" and you replied " I think he's their only hope now".

The good: the newly turned 3 year old , the former Mr. B, came for dinner with parents.

He declined a seat at the table. Like his father he seems to prefer lounging on the couch.

Unlike his father, he likes watching endless loops of Thomas The Train and Donald Duck.

The good: dinner was delicious. I made a rice pilaf spiced with cumin seeds and scattered with chopped cilantro and parsley.



Middle Eastern meatballs with finely chopped onions and garlic, laced with heaping teaspoon fulls of cumin, paprika, a bit of cayenne, salt, pepper, chopped parsley and cilantro, an egg and a handful of breadcrumbs.



These were simmered in a sauce of chopped tomatoes, sauteed onion, garlic, a chili pepper with the same herbs and spices as above.

The good news: there are 2 left.

A romaine salad with sliced beets and pomegranate seeds tossed with that nutty vinaigrette I'm so nutty about from How Cook Everything. Maybe it's just the change from balsamic to sherry vinegar.


 The bad news: I forgot to take pictures.

In other bad news: the Lions lost and if the former Mr. B was paying any attention to Aunt Jane he now has quite a vocabulary to show off at "school" tomorrow.

Father forgive me, for I know not what I say.

Blame it on the Motor City.


5 comments:

  1. I have a reprieve, the Colts won! Only to die at the hands of ex Colt Manning next week, it can be forgiven. I have to say, I have become a Romo fan if not his team, only for his personality and perseverance, sorry Lions fans. Whatever, food and cooking makes it all work, we made garbanzos today, you win though, you have a grown up Mr. B! But wait I have Max! Tie! Happy playoff season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Amelia, and we were becoming such good amigas! why'd you have to go and invoke Romo's name like that. Insert sad face emoticon here.

    But on a happier note, I have never cooked dried garbanzos, you know I want to now!

    xo J

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the other hand, we in Baltimore were quite pleased with the outcome of our game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg, your boys kicked some but! Luckily for me I had two dogs in the fight, the Lions are my home team and the Ravens are my local team.

      So I still have some cheering to do"

      Delete
  4. Mr B was only born five minutes ago, and already he has a wicked auntie teaching him to swear.......

    ReplyDelete