Thursday, February 16, 2012

10 Things I Can't Live Without: The Gardener's Cottage


 Janet from The Gardener's Cottage is my  catholic soul sister.  A steady childhood diet of nuns and Latin turned us into well mannered foul mouths.

She can decorate a house, dress a body, toss a salad and dig a garden with style and great aplomb on a tiny budget. I spend more on weekly Starbucks than she spends on a dress.

I love these lists for many reasons,certainly finding similarities between myself and my favorite bloggers makes me happy.  Her favorite book? One of my favorite authors.  Who knew.



jane asked me to compile a love list. i told her i would but that it might be hard to come up with 10 things that i love or can't live without. what a lame brain i am. turns out i could write lists like this all day long. just so you know, this is a shallow love list. my faith, my family and friends, all animals, my health, fruits and vegetables, and a small but charming home i love and cherish is not included, that list is a given, right? anyway here is a list of 10 things that i either love or like a whole lot.

1. red lipstick.  my choice for spring is Aveda's poppy.  red lipstick can make the darkest, dullest day alright.
2. a belted herringbone jacket.  my choice is brooks brothers and ralph lauren.  in my book this is a killer combination.  anyone can wear a jacket.  anyone can wear a belt.  put them together and that's style.
3. gloves.  no, not cashmere or wool or ladylike ones.  i'm talking rubber gloves.  the ones that go up to your elbow so you don't have to take off your belted jacket to do the dishes.
4. the royal tenenbaums.  i don't know how many times i've watched this movie but it must be in the dozens.  i can quote it all day long.  there is something about all of mr.anderson's    movies that i adore.  but i relate to the tenenbaums on so many levels it is scary.  if you haven't ever watched it, i highly, highly recommend it.  thems the rules.
5. jack white.  ok, if you read my blog then you know i'm in love with this fella.  i wish i could crawl into his brain and see what makes him tick.  his music has elevated me out of dark moods that i never thought i'd get out of and brighten even the brightest days of my live.  i love jack white like a little brother.
6. a chambray shirt.  my chambrays usually come from thriftshops but j. crew makes some pretty fabulous ones.  from jeans to sequins there isn't anything a chambray shirt cannot make cooler.  it's true.
7. tea and toast in the morning.  a thick slice of homemade toast and tea is one of the greatest pleasures of my life.  it has to be eaten in bed though for the experience to be complete.
8. the catcher in the rye.  my all-time favorite book.  i fell in love with holden the first time i read the line...nobody notices anything.  so true holden, so true.  plus j.d. salinger was supposedly a recluse, another one of my ambitions, but that's another list.
9. sparkling water.  not much to say about it, but i like it a lot.
10. potatoes.  in any form.  my preference is fried of course with lots of salt.  good for the animals and the earth, bad for my bod.  but that doesn't stop me.  i really love french fries.

xo
janet

15 comments:

  1. I like Janet very much for her 10 chic and worthy things but am worried now that red lipstick is shallow, after all my efforts to be deep and meaningful. I must pop over and have a look at her blog before she becomes a recluse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fine and all-encompassing list--style, reading, food, and of course the rubber gloves. Little luxuries and practicalities. I have not been paying attention to Jack White (he of the White Stripes?) but will investigate. Always looking for fellas who can elevate my mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun list. I too am a Mr. Anderson fan. Darjeeling Limited is my favorite. Re: Jack White...have you seen It Might Get Loud? Very cool. I hope you eat some lovely potatoes today. You certainly have me in the mood for some french fries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been following Janet's blog for as long as I've known about blogs...There's not much in this post that surprises me because I've been reading The Gardner's Cottage all along. I even stalk her early posts. I love her style both personal and home and garden and aspire to live so beautifully while keeping it pretty simple. I'm still in search of a perfect Herringbone jacket...and I may even be willing to spend $20 bucks if I were to find the right one. I love this project, Jane. Hopefully you've recovered from the 14th!
    xo
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janet we have the favorite movie and book. I own The Royal Tenenbaums and I think I've watched it 20 times.

    Jane it's nice to meet you and I know if you are friends with Janet I am going to love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane,

    Janet's blog is one of my favourites too. I enjoyed getting to know her better. Never seen the film The Royal Tenenbaums.....I will check it out.

    Happy day!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's to tea and toast and potatoes.
    I was terrified of the nuns at primary school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the Pepper Tree along the drive.

    I love red lipstick and potatoes, but they don't love me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Janet does have a fabulous list! Janet does sport that herringbone jacket with a lot of style. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such elegance.

    Red lipstick, a pre-requisite for all bloggers. I have heard mention of this Aveda Poppy before.

    on my next trip to a place of civilisation, i shall hunt it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. great list. Count me into the sisterhood - I'm a product of nuns and catholic upbringing too. In fact, right here in Arlington, VA.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mise, I think anyone with your grasp of fudge making and fabric selecting would be considered deep no matter their lipstick. Whew.

    Jen, I'm all for the list but the rubber gloves are rather baffling to me. Does anyone need to get at the dishes so soon after arriving home?

    Denise, And from Darjeeling Unlimited comes one of my favorite songs Les Champs Elysees. it;s a small world after all.

    Annie, in recovery :) But Janet's list has helped as I hope yours will one day soon.

    DaniBP, We're friends already! We can form a Salinger reading circle and imagine a young Gwenneth as Phoebe.

    Madelief, Wonderful list, no? Now I have o watch the movie again...

    Tabitha, Very wise of you. I'm still terrified if I see one at an airport. I cast my eyes down.

    Shelley, Right a pepper tree. I was so excited when I saw streets lined with them in Santa Monica a few years ago. I loved that most streets had only one type of tree growing.

    Bonnie, i agree. Janet might be out It girl.

    Miss Pickering, ah here you are clearly recovered from your Valentine's work and play.

    Julie, You're in! Not only the sisterhood but apparently the hood. This is very exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Janet, I salute you. Honestly what a stunning list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yaay for Janet and Yaay for her list - and what a great list. Particularly LOVE no. 7!! XX

    ReplyDelete
  15. well aren't you super hip and cool? Jack white? who knew? I thought he was only for my 22 yr old daughter! I'm going straight to iTunes!
    XO
    Jan

    ReplyDelete