Saturday, June 19, 2010

Recipe For A Perfect Summer



Thursday and Friday were perfect summer days. There was sunshine, blue skies, white clouds, breezes and no humidity. We spent every moment we could outside.

Our table is strewn with phones and cameras, gardening gloves, books ( I just finished The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest) and glasses of our favorite new summer drink.

We make a simple lemon syrup with 1 and 1/2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of water, zest of 2 lemons, and 1/8 tsp. of salt. Bring this to a boil, stir and boil for 5 minutes. Strain the zest from syrup ( if you're me nibble madly away at zest). Cool , then add the juice of 6 juicy lemons, stir, cover and refrigerate.. When ready to use stir in 2 tablespoons to a glass of water, sparkling or still. If you're so inclined slice in a few ripe strawberries.

Sip, savor and snap a few photographs. Start a new book.

12 comments:

  1. Did you enjoy it? The book I mean! Do you think that 4th book, sitting there unfinished, involved the sister? I have copied out your recipe for next summer it sounds rather beautifully refreshing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it. Seems to be wrapped up all neatly. Thank God. Can you imagine if he left Salander hanging? Someone must finish and publish 4th book. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ..aw that looks fab and sounds like a great way to spend the day. I am thirsty but a diet coke will have to do me unfortunately for now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a refreshing looking drink - I will keep the recipe for when our Summer comes when you have your Winter!! My mother used to make a lemon drink similar to that when I was a child... x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jane,

    Your drink looks very tasty! As I understand from several of your posts temperatures in your part of the US are high already. Does that mean you live in the south?

    Wish you a good weekend!

    Lieve groet, Madelief

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum - thanks, this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi jane,

    i have a similar recipe for lemonade and i love it. it is so refreshing and not too sweet.

    have a wonderful weekend.

    ~janet

    ReplyDelete
  8. okay! i'm going to do all of those things! what wonderful suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's as though you were reading my mind!! Just last night I was thinking I want to find a new recipe for lemonade that's not too sweet -- perfect, thank you!!! Loved that book too!

    ReplyDelete