Saturday, January 2, 2010

I Hate To Bake ( and I'm not kidding)


Wasn't i just talking about patience? And my lack of it? And I decided to bake a cake? The recipe was in last month's House Beautiful, from New American Table by Marcus Samuelsson. It's his mother's apple cake recipe, apparently they always had one cake in the refrigerator and another in the freezer, in case they had unexpected guests. Whatever. I'm no baker to begin with. A chef, yes, I can dice and slice and saute and braise with the best of them. I used to be a sous chef. I trained in French and Italian kitchens. But, I'm no baker. Still, It's Tini's birthday, she baked an apple cake last night, but her dog ate it. Sung to a country western tune. Anyhoo, I peeled and cored, creamed butter and sugar, tho' how butter creamed with white And brown sugar is supposed to turn a lemon color is a mystery to me. I couldn't pour the batter in the pan, i had to scrape it out 'cause it was mostly stuck to the beaters, on my floor, and all over the jeans I was going to wear tonight. Now the cake is cooling, the floor is washed, I have a slight headache. For better or worse picture to come. Until then, photo courtesy of House Beautiful.

6 comments:

  1. Don't be fooled! The cake was a flawless success! We had to beat the guests back until they had appropriately sung for their supper. Thank you, thank you, thank you for the best birthday ever. And that's the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I know you can do it, I will quit baking for the Flower People forever. Joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tini, Apparently when love is one of the ingredients, even a hopeless amateur can pull it off. Happy Birthday!



    Gwen It was a one off. Don't even think of not baking. Your breads are the cocaine of the millenium. We can't get through the holidays without them. Oh, and that pumpkin cake...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh and I was going to complement you and tell you how it looks beautifully just like the one in HB!

    I'll bet it was lip smacking good though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUMMIE great work... and i like your blog too! happy new year.. x pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, Thanks . It was delish, but kinda of a "cakeonyn" : same ingredients, same temperatures, but looks different!



    Pam, Thanks for dropping by. I love your blog. And do I have a vintage leather chair for you!

    ReplyDelete