Friday, December 26, 2014

A Christmas Story


It's the most wonderful day of the year: Boxing Day.

Nothing needs doing on Boxing Day except a trip to the store for cat food.

I can't seem to move out of the once desirable vintage leather club chair by the Christmas tree.

( No longer desirable because the you know whos have managed to claw through and pull out hunks of innards and leaves scratch marks on every remaining inch of leather.)  ( But still very comfortable, so screw it).

(And the tree smells divinely of fir still).

So I'm reading Delancey and inhaling deeply and thoroughly enjoying this day of rest.

Christmas dinner at my friends Ann's was just right.

She and her husband decorate as if it were a second White House.

And cook as if royalty were coming to dinner, we had Oysters Biltmore for starters, prime rib with a horseradish cream sauce, a cheesy potato thingy from Ina Garten's latest, green beans with masses of shallots and I made a salad with romaine, pears, pomegranate seeds served with a nutty vinaigrette dressing via "How To Cook Everything". Ann told me her husband didn't like nuts in his salad, I ground them up for the dressing. #baddinnerguest

I came with a friend. Ann's sister Grace who lives in Richmond and knows little about my day to day affairs (apparently) insisted on addressing the two of us both together and separately as if we were a long standing couple.

He was on antibiotics for some kind of virus and I was running on fumes from a month of hard labor so neither of us could muster up the energy to dissuade her of this notion.

Right around the time we were making coffee and trying to open the wedged closed drawer that held the pie servers I lost my voice and turned into a frog.

Over a table of pumpkin and apple pie, chocolate brownies and cookies I tried to stop her as she was telling "us" about the new Wegman's market soon to open in Alexandria and how easy it would be for us to shop there. And how fabulous the produce was....I croaked up that I didn't expect J and I to be doing any grocery shopping together, but I was ignored.

Did I want to take some prime rib home for his lab, did he feed it table scraps? Had we been here, had we gone there there? What Senator had he worked for?

I don't know, I barely know him. I just knew he had no plans for Christmas day, is 6 months into an awful divorce, is extremely civilized and would be able to play nice with strangers. Plus he drives, I don't, Ann and her husband live about 30 minutes away. Longer if you follow Google maps.

So, festive house, perfect meal and just the right amount of awkwardness to call it Christmas.

It was a quiet ride home. I'm sure I'll be able to laugh about this once I get my voice back.

Poor guy.

Wonder if he has a blog.

I'll ask Grace.


Or Lucy, she looks like she's got the 411.

20 comments:

  1. Everyone in Richmond is not that weird. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know webb, but sometimes all it takes is one...:-))

      Delete
  2. What a great storyteller you are, Jsne! I can just "hear" the nosy, "helpful " sister's questioning now. Take it easy and enjoy some blessed days of rest.
    Merrily and snowily, Diane in Denver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can hear her still...but then I've known her for over 30 years, the surprise is I'm surprised!

      Delete
  3. Haha, I really do love reading your stories, thank you for the fun and keep quiet to get your voice back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying...but as you know I do like to communicate.

      Delete
  4. :-) Hope you will feel better soon Jane! Happy New Year to you!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Let me try this again, thank you Madelief, it's an occupational hazard, getting a little something after a month of madness.

      Happy New Year to you also. So glad I found you on IG.

      Delete
  5. There's never a dull moment with you Jane!! Glad you had a greatbchristmas despite the awkwardness :p
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! There's never a dull moment with anyone, most people don't publish theirs!

      Love those cookies:-))

      Delete
  6. I smile when I read about your escapades...your life is always full of surprises.
    I hope that your froggy voice is soothed by now...hot honey and lemon helps.
    Best wishes from our Humble Bungalow to yours.
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it is. Lemons are on my shopping list for today, thank you.

      Delete
  7. I hope you and friend remain friends and laugh about that evening for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh me too, that's usually the way it works, but he's a wee bit more formal than my usual buddies. #timewilltell

      Delete
  8. Shame, poor you. No boice. Excellent storytelling, as always. You really need a column.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha, I think the non-voice was a sign from above, Santa's gift maybe. I'm really impressed though that you found something to cook from "How to Cook Everything", I can't ever find anything and I love Mark Bittman. Oh well, maybe you'll explain it in your column.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stop, you're making me laugh, that woman makes me cringe. Isn't it hard work being good? I've been sweet as pie all Christmas and now I'm worn out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny woman, you are. Hope your voice has returned now that the provocation to swear loudly has disappeared.

    ReplyDelete