Monday, October 13, 2014

Seasonal Disorder

 I'm still not used to fall. The light, the weather, what to wear on any given day.....all confuse me.

Thanks to Gus I still wake up early but instead of wandering the garden, coffee in one hand, hose in another, I ice my latte and go back to bed.

Here,with pillows propped behind me, I read on my IPad, starting with Gardenista, hitting up Instagram and then a few chapters of a book.

Finally the sun rises, or the skies brighten depending on the weather and then I walk outside where the garden appears to be as confused as I am.

Pansies, iris, cabbages, tomatoes, dahlias, roses, kale all unconcerned as to what season it is. The iris in October always surprises me.

October is also time to cut down the grapevine which totally engulfs my deck. I was several years (read never) behind in cutting down the vine. First I didn't know to do it and by the time I wised up I was unable to use my shoulder. This year I was motivated.





The silver lining in Nelda's moving, and there is always a silver lining, is that she had to get her little deck redone before putting her house on the market.

Our decks were put on at the same time in 2004. I have stained mine twice. Every spring I swear this is the year I'll get sh*t done,and every spring the grapevine gets ahead of my good intentions. So boards split, moss grows and the grapevine covers railing, step and spindle.

But once there were actual people next door, powerwashing and hauling wood into the yard I ran out into the rain, umbrella over my head, slippers on my feet and asked for help.

Then I grabbed the lopers and got to work. Vine cut down to main stem. This girl was on fire.

Two days later, I too, had a redone deck, cracked boards replaced, wood washed, wood stained and my dream come true, a trellis built for the grapevine to cover.



I told Steve he was my Prince Charming, he made my dreams come true.

I was inspired to stain my old bench blue and drag it up on the little deck. This is where the sun, and I, linger in the afternoon.

And now every time I open the back door I am happy.

Confused but happy.

xo J




34 comments:

  1. We had grape arbours growing up, and we'd always make wreaths from the grapevines that we cut down in the fall. They're still pliable and you can just twine them into circles. When they dry, they'll stay formed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As i was cutting the vines down and stuffing them in the trash can for next day pick up I kept telling myself I would be sorry i hadn't kept some. And sorry i am. I'd love to have a wreath of my own grapevine hanging on the trellis....ah well, next year.

      Delete
  2. Yes, it is a confusing time of year. Beautiful, but confusing! I'm still shocked by the cold mornings. But OH, the colors. Your trellis is delightful and we will look forward to gorgeous pictures of it with a healthy grapevine, full but not out of control, flourishing on it next year. Good on ya for getting that all done, Jane.
    Diane in
    Looking at Leaves all the time now
    Denver

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will look forward to that.....think it might take a little discipline on my part though.

      Delete
  3. Great job--just in time to enjoy the fall season! We're always so pleased when we can cross a big task like this off our list :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And how funny it had not occurred to me to pass the task on. I don't/ can't have to do it all. When will I ever learn?

      Delete
  4. aww what a sweet post jane. my garden and myself are a bit confused too. it is fall here but reads more like summer but at least the nights are chilly. nothing looks v good this time a year. your place and new deck look fab. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try and get into the beautiful decay of the season in the garden. Some days I'm in awe, others I'm like ahhhh, hell.

      Cha- cha-cha changes.

      Delete
    2. "The besutiful decay of the season in the garden," a magnificent phrase, Jane. (make that beautiful & it 's even better, heh)

      Delete
  5. Hi Jane,

    A am so happy for you! The blue bench looks beautiful on your decking! Hope there will be many more sunny days to enjoy and sit outside.

    Happy week!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Madelief. I wish the same for you in your beautiful garden. let the dahlias bloom!

      Delete
  6. You see and find such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I can't figure out how to take apart my patio umbrella or unscrew a light adapter but I know pretty when I see it.

      Delete
  7. Love your new lattice and blue bench - they will be great all year, too. Fall is so weird. Dahlias going crazy and everything else trying to figure out what to do. Some days I love it and other days not so much ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, but when you think of what awaits....we must embrace fall and all its changes. Right?

      Delete
  8. Great post and perfect description of this time of year. (Of course I am always confused.) Your desk is beautiful--that white washed trellis and blue bench and so charming! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a confusing time of year and life to me. I love the fresh blue against the trellis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. Are we always to be confused now? Is confusion the new sanity?

      Delete
  10. I too am refinishing my deck, but sadly it will take several weekends. I need to sand it down before applying the deck stain that I needed to buy in Roanoke because state EPA regulations do not allow it to be sold in northern Virginia. It should (better) last forever.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine stain is some new thingy that is supposed to last forever. the deck guy and my neighbors who know are really excited about it. What kind of magic are you getting?

      Delete
    2. TWP 100. (Cabot's lasted only 2 years and turned black with mold.)

      Delete
  11. Iris in October. Is this magic or am I the last to know?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bench looks great. I love that blue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I had two blues to pick from but I'm glad I went with the darker.

      Delete
  13. That bench stain is brilliant! what color was it before? AND Iris? Are they a Fall blooming variety? Talk about confused!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know....and I have a white iris all fat with buds. The bench was an old beat up Ikea number that was originally stained reddish brown, it sat outside for years. So I finally sanded it (cause Carlos made me) washed it down and when dry just sprayed it with a Rustoleum paint I call Brittany Blue. The wood was so thirsty it drank it all in, leaving just a hint of color. I knew to stop when I was ahead,

      Delete
  14. I love reading all about your gardening projects! I miss it!
    Much love!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have garden benches painted in a blue/grey colour called "Blue Rhapsody". The man at the paint shop said "That's quite a dark colour.." - "I know", I said, "I just love how it looks against the green grass." Very satisfying...
    Jane in Australia

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have come over here to return your pun, but I feel that your lovely post is immune to puns. And I have a blue bench too; may we be friends?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Confused and happy is still a good thing isn't it? And a freshly tarted up deck and blue bench, has to be good. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good for you! Love your new deck! The blue on your bench is a beautiful blue. What a great place to sit and enjoy the autumn sun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. what a great little space in the back - i was wondering how to decorate my "wall" that separates our deck from our neighbours - love those dried branches. brilliant!

    ReplyDelete