Monday, December 12, 2011

Flowers In The Holiday House


In order fit even a small Christmas in our house adjustments have to be made.  GG's family trunk moves into the bedroom, the couch is moved closer to the door and our 2 chairs rest uncomfortably side by side.  Stacks of books and pots of succulents are moved first here, then there, finally into the bedroom while we ponder what to do long term.

In the meantime GG cuts a foot or two off the tree and all its bottom branches.  The tree is then placed into an old crock and the space around the trunk is anchored with bricks and rocks. We fill the crock with water and hold our breath.  The water stays, no leaks for another year.  The charm of an uneventful tree raising will never pale for me.

Then as I slide a pan of french toast into the oven and start cooking bacon, GG fills tumblers with champagne and orange juice for Blaise and Keeley who have arrived to trim the tree.

This is my secret: I spend so many hours decorating for others I will do anything to have the lights and ornaments put on my own tree.  I'll cook for you, watch your children, hell I'll weed your garden.  But put lights on my own tree? Never.


We have ornaments from my many past lives, GG's family, Blaise's family and others we have been gifted over the years.  There are vintage postcards stuck in between the branches and somewhere there's a pickle.


We're heavy on pine cones and birds, old German crystal pieces and my favorite, little Finnish elves from GG's grandmother Ami. I'll be moving them to them kitchen windowsill where they bring us good luck all month.


I pop a vase into the bedroom, still wondering where all the books will go.


By now it is dark and we turn off all the lights but the tree, pile on the couch and breathe deeply.


Ahhhh. Christmas is in the house December 2011.

Are you ready for a visit or a two?  If so link up, and we'll be by for a mince pie and a glass of something warm.

Ho. Ho. Ho.

27 comments:

  1. Those little Finnish elves are quite charming and adorable! And I really like the vintage postcard in the tree idea... might steal that one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your tree Jane. It is nice to decorate it with things that have stories and memories. I can't wait to get my Christmas decorations out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty tree - and the elves are charming! What a great tradition - french toast and champagne - I would come and trim your tree with that incentive Jane! XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yours is one of the nicest trees ever: it looks so glowing and real, so magical and loved. I need more crystal for mine so as not to be slaughtered in the best Christmas tree ratings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tree, beautiful ornaments. Love the crock although that can't be an easy straightening job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be back later to actually look at the flowers, but wanted to tell you that I have two renegade ranunculus that have come up! Apparently they think we have already had winter. Off to get a bag of mulch to try to keep them cozy for the next couple of months!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Damn you found someone to do it!!! I am not having a tree this year as I am leaving it to the kids and I just love hanging the decorations. Most of them are over 40 years old and every one has a memory. I would have enjoyed the French toast after!!!
    A very Happy Christmas to you and GG and the rest of the crew. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh i love your tree jane. it is so beautiful! xo janet

    ReplyDelete
  9. Magical tree, Jane. So many lights you didn't have to put on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tree is so pretty, and the ornaments so special. I have a large tree at the city house and have had to resort to an artificial one with the lights on it, because it took too long to string by myself..good for you finding people to help out.

    My poinsettia is mysteriously loosing limbs so I will, sadly, not be joining in today. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. We keep putting off putting our tree up. Yours looks so pretty. We really must do the same. At this point we have a small wreath on the front door, another very different small wreath in the bay window, and one very large red peony.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's perfect! ...and those elves...LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Couldn't possibly show you my tree - it's a stick in a crock - and it looks so un-festive compared to yours, but I have attempted some flowers. I love the idea of getting helper-elves to decorate, while I sit back and watch. I have much to learn from you Jane! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOh, your lush flowers put me to shame! And your tree is lovely, I found it so hard to take a decent pic of ours for some reason. Bxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tree is so pretty! I love the use of postcards, and think pinecones and birds are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your tree is so pretty...and love your little arrangements...The red rose, the pearls with satin against the color (is it lavender?) on the wall...in an old bottle, which I'm loving these days.
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your tree sings to me of childhood Christmases - I love it. Settled for artificial years ago, but it ain't the same at all.

    You make me feel all cheery. xoxo to you both, and pass the champagne!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loath to miss your parties- especially a Xmas one, but chaos this side!
    Love your tree......x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes! Superb tree! My tree needs help. But it's its first year sooo, I'll get my act together in a few more years.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wishing you a sweet and merry holiday in your small and very charming home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jane

    Your tree has such style and variety of decorations.

    Your family manage just fine in decorating your home - keep on gardening

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yours is a splendid tree. Mine (lopsided, now five or six years old, I can't remember) is waiting outside. It will be decorated on Christmas Eve. Can't promise that it will be a beautiful sight!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the part where you shut the lights out, plop on the couch and enjoy the tree....we do too! What a lovely tree you have, really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just came over from Annie's blog. I adore your tree! So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Here from Lovely Things...I know what you mean about stringing the lights...tedious. This year I got a table top tree and it was so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am here from Annie's blog! I love your tree! It is so charming.

    ReplyDelete