Tuesday, November 15, 2011

And She's Dancing Like She's Never Danced Before

I have mere minutes before I'm off to the gym to spend another pleasant hour with Andrew.  Gentle yoga I mutter to myself as I catch a medicine ball mid air in preparation for a grueling bout of side twists.

At the gym I'm called Janiac and forced to make a muscle while my bicep is poked at and (jokingly) admired.
I'm quizzed on my nonsmoking and offered tips on staying stopped. I'm told to lie down on the floor and given deep touch pressure for my lungs.  A treatment I understand is also effective on anxious autistic children.

At the end of my hour, I'm red faced with shaky legs or arms depending on the  targeted areas, slightly nauseated from all the core work, extremely happy and very hungry.

I vaguely remember when my nickname was Princess and my gifts came from Hermes and Tiffanys.

Now I'm a Janiac and my gifts come from short men with over sized muscles who are helping me regain my waist, my strength and my lung capacity.


Better than a bracelet any day.

20 comments:

  1. Girrrl, you make me feel lazy and unaccomplished. I've embraced my laziness, though. Best to make friends with it. I enjoy reading about your journey in quitting. In all seriousness, it's encouraging for everyone with an addiction and I sincerely root you on from afar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congatulations on sticking with the programme. You must be feeling much better.
    My best
    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I just wrapped a 30-day challenge and now I'm trying to stop myself from sliding into slothdom. This time of year is particularly hard for my motivation! I need to take a leaf out of your book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. You are inspiring me to go to the gym. And yeah, definitely better than a bracelet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie, Good to hear that, I'm afraid I'm beating a dead horse here BUT it is rather on my mind:)

    Helen, Thank you and yes I am!

    Jane, I was impressed by a month of yoga classes. You must be the bearer of long muscles and mucho flexibility.

    I hope to overcome the dark day blues by exercising. Yes, hard to stay motivated in the cold...

    Steve, that was hilarious. At least i got a belly laugh out of it:)

    Jen, Go so we can compare notes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Jane [or should that be Janiac]:
    Now this does not sound like a bundle of fun to us! Indeed, given the choice, we should probably prefer to spend time browsing at what Tiffany's have to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jane, you're doing so well! Surely you deserve that little treasure from Tiffanys or Hermes more than ever before?qq

    ReplyDelete
  9. here is to your good health jane! and to your right hand behaving.
    xo janet

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done Jane! Can you tell me please what 'deep touch pressure for my lungs' means? I find that I am not breathing properly and wonder if that would help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go Jane! You must be so proud of yourself and you deserve to be! And to think of all those people that wait until the New Year to begin a healthy regime...you'll already be there and enjoying every breath!
    xo
    annie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dedication and persistence is impressive. Those gym workouts are sure to help you stay warm this winter, too! Well done on entering your third smoke-free week, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brava! hope it's getting easier. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know you were suffering, but.....what a fun post. I am applauding you. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wish I had the video! What an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My dear, you rock and are adorable, hilarious, and inspiring.

    xo,

    Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  17. haha... i thought you were talking about the dog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Janiac! I admire your tenacity. Have a great weekend, love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Jane
    This is my first visit to your blog ~ I just read (and loved) your post about your gorgeous lab "for the love of Dog". Hope Nika is doing well ♥
    Look forward to stopping by again.

    ReplyDelete