Wednesday, November 11, 2009

out of the roasting pan



last night i roasted a chicken a la greque. this means, i made a fast basting sauce/ marinade from olive oil, lemon juice, lots of garlic, oregano, rosemary and thyme ( all herbs still putting out in the garden) . i roasted it at 450 degrees for a half hour, then turned oven down to 350 for another hour. it smelled delicious, it tasted delicious. i served it with a brown rice pilaf and sauteed spinach. i had visions of feta cheese and greek yogurt, both of which were in my refrigerator, but we were too hungry to garnish. tonight is cold and rainy, so i made a fast chicken stock from the carcass, sauteed onions, carrots, garlic, green pepper, jalapenos in olive oil . i added a bit of quickly crushed plum tomatoes and a dash of cumin and oregano and chili powder. strained my chicken stock into soup pan, added black beans, diced zucchini and potatoes. when all of this smelled heavenly, i threw in shredded chicken from last night, and more salt and pepper. then, i cut up homemade ( by someone trader joe's knows) tortillas into strips, crisped them up in hot oil, drained then salted. dished up soup, added tortilla strips and freshly grated cheese. i felt very cared for.

5 comments:

  1. Oh yum! You've made me very hungry now!
    Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog, I'll definitely be checking back here (and companyflowers.blogspot too!) for a visit soon. I love your arrangements & your garden too! My husband & I are moving into our new home in 2 weeks and I can't wait to get started on the garden!
    See you again soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello! another dark, cold and rainy morning here, but you just made my day brighter! i'll be looking forward to following your move and the growth of your garden. your flowers are so beautiful, i'll be looking for inspiration there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - I just did that with a chicken last week!! Different roasting style, different soup outcome, but still. Great minds, I say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gwen we have to cook together again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohyeahbaby! I know how, too! prob not as good as you, though. still eating borscht...wish hadn't made a double batch!

    ReplyDelete