Thursday, September 17, 2009

a soupcon of fall

it's a cool,cloudy and drizzly day. rushed home from the shop to make soup. accidentally took a nap,read the new york times home section,walked the dog, sauteed some bacon for the soup. fed the dog(who thought the bacon was for her). chopped onions and shallots, carrots and garlic, sauteed all, added crushed red peppers, salt and freshly ground pepper. found a chicken stock i had made from a chicken back, poured that in, added about 1/2 a pound of baby gold potatoes diced, brought to boil, turned to simmer. neighbors came by, smelled bacon, asked what was for dinner. one,opened the refrigerator and peered inside, as if he was at home. i love this 'hood. cut parsley from garden, sprinkled in soup added a dash of milk, topped with bits of bacon. ate.

3 comments:

  1. I was just thinking I want to make some soup for supper tonight, it's been raining here for days, and here's the perfect recipe -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to tell you -- you've taught me well, I even have some homemade chicken stock from a chix I roasted!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is almost as good as the scarf! hope your soup is delicious. thank god one of my friends figured out how to comment on the blog.

    ReplyDelete