Monday, January 25, 2016

Hello......( with all due credit to Adele)


Well if  being housebound on day 4 of #blizzard16, plus a really lovely email or two from Rachel doesn't light a fire under my no blogging a*s,  what would?

Plus I woke this morning just blanketed by cats with a silent house and a chill in the air. I have an oil burner. It usually makes its presence known.

All signs pointed to no heat. The signs were correct. It was time to call the oil company and sit down at the computer.

Yes, I'm layered. I have a space heater, I am doing laundry trusting the heat from the dryer will help us out here. The oven is  warming awaiting ...who cares, the oven is on. Electric, no worries

I have on a hat, fingerless gloves and my ever present iced latte. Still crazy after all these years.

November and December just a work blur, the blur was enhanced by one of the front clerks underlining all the important details on orders with an orange hlghlighter. My eyes don't take in orange, it was if whole sentences were entirely blacked out. This made a busy season even more challenging.

I had a week in Miami early January. Best coffees ever, best music on the radio, too much food but since I was visiting my vacation buddy Larry there were many mornings at the gym, then more food.

I saw "Carol", it made me cry. I saw "The Danish Girl", it made me yawn. Edit people,edit.

I slept long and late. Larry is a 6am riser. You must have needed the sleep he said. Well yeah, my mind, body and eyes were spent. And with no Gus around I could sleep in. Sorry buddy, you're a pesty alarm clock.

Gus and Lucy? As charming, annoying, hungry, no I don't like that food, I want some crunchies, please turn on the faucet, let me out, let me in, as ever. B. is still our roommate and they live for the moment he opens his bedroom door and they can rush into his room. Gus to lounge on the bed,Lucy to teeter on the ironing board being all flirty.

We appreciate his presence. He assumed all shoveling duties for the storm keeping the door open for neighbors with babies, potluck dinners and football viewers.

We have not been bored, the power has stayed on, food has been plentiful, and Gus only fell in one snow drift. Though that was a worrisome few moments for me until a little wet,orange head popped out.

Just counted and realized 4 sentences have started with I. Not to make it all about me...

Have I forgotten anything? Yes, my doctors office wrote a very persuasive letter to my insurance company and my full migraine prescription is intact.

And you? Tell me about you.

'
UPDATE: The heat is on, the heat is on....apparently I was out of oil. Petro, my oil company is so far behind on deliveries they don't know when they can get a truck to my house. The tech ran out to a gas station, put 10 gallons of diesel in my 100 gallon tank and then said if they're not back by the time I use this up, approximately 2 days, I should get 10 gallons of diesel and fill it myself.





This is so wrong. I pay a great amount of money year round for automatic fill up, 24/7 service calls 365 days a year.

The tech could barely carry the gas cans around to my back yard tank. And now I'm supposed to top it up? And B goes out of town tomorrow?

This is so wrong in so many ways. Lucy is very grateful tho. That's something.







26 comments:

  1. Good to hear from you after so long, Jane. You may remember me. I'm Sue; wrote Beach Bungalow a few years back.
    Hope your heat is back on soon, take care.
    Sue
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course I remember you Sue! Hope all is well with you and your family.

      Any new grandchildren?

      Delete
  2. Yay! A bit of nagging works! (Except in this household.....) So glad you're back online, and hope you stay put for a while! Your blizzard looked amazing; maybe not so much if your heating wasn't working though. Stay well, happy and blogging - can we have a re-launch of Flowers in the House come Spring? x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes of course we can relaunch, let's make it February. I could use some color.
      Wait, you're shutting down while I go back to press...hmm.

      Clearly I am still a victim of a Catholic educatation. Guilt works for me.

      xo J

      Delete
  3. Hello from the other side of your blizzard! Here in central Wisconsin, I missed all the blizzard hoopla of the last few days, although we are scheduled for a few inches today. I can feel the moisture in the and the weather people are forecasting a wintry mix to kick it off so it is sure to be wet, heavy stuff; ass-kicker sort of weather for the garden, breaking branches and such always a possibility.

    On an upnote, I put in my first seed and spring bulb orders, and actually plotted and planned my baskets, boxes, and pots for a change.

    Stay warm! Just 56 days until Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 56 days till Spring?! That's the kind of news we need in the forecast

      Our snow seemed light and powdery to me but then I wasn't the one doing the shoveling
      You take care and stay warm.

      Delete
  4. Smiled when I saw this post from you pop up! (Just so you know, it's perfectly okay, and expected, for blogs to have a lot of "I" in them. It's personal, so go ahead and let it be all about you.)

    Stuff is quiet, down from you on I-95 in Hartwood. I'm not used to it, but I'm finding that the peace and predictability are growing on me. Same cast of critters, keeping my routine and running the household.

    Glad your power stayed on, and bummed about your heat. I hope it gets fixed soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to hear from you. Peace sounds lovely, heat even better.

      Still shivering and waiting.

      Delete
  5. Glad all is well in your world... assuming you got an oil delivery. we shoveled in 30 minute bites so we can get out tomorrow...before I want an Alaskan divorce!

    all is well here. enjoying retirement and taking horticulture classes. hope you'll keep us posted as spring progresses. only 56 days? great! little cat scratches to thekids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They thank you for the scratches. I thank you for the comment. Nice to connect with old friends.

      Brought much needed warmth to my heart.

      xo

      Delete
  6. Nice to see your post pop up. I've been in and out as well. Here is to getting back into the world of blogging! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bonnie, let's do it. It's winter, we can wile away many a frozen hour.

      Delete
  7. Hello from the other side!!! You stopped by and made my day, and trust me I needed it. So happy to see you and the kits, it's been way too long. Going to check out Instagram and the Miami food recommendations...hmmm, expert you know :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Amelia, I wanted then from you! Tried to send you an email but I used other account and it might have gone in your spam.

      Anyway we're together again. xoxo

      Delete
    2. Drat. Sorry I didn't see that, but you're not. You would've gained some serious weight! Oh and I assume you flew, yay.

      Delete
  8. Oh dear...I have a blog.Don't suppose anyone remembers it? I seem not to!
    But I am glad you've popped up again, Jane.I was thinking of you the other day as I did some "shoulder exercises" without pain.
    Rachel asks for FITH and I concur.Even if I have to buy some sunflowers from the grocer!
    So...here we go, with our dear Jane being run ragged on 14th and probably not reappearing til Spring...
    Stay cosy. kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! You may be correct but I hope not. It's been so wonderful to reconnect.

      Pain free shoulder exercises? Priceless!

      Delete
  9. Happy to see you, wherever you are. Your oil company needs a good scolding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes,they do. I remained gentle on the phone, unusually for me, and was rewarded with a full tank yesterday afternoon.

      Also rewarded with a achy back from shoveling path to back yard for oil compact. ouchy.

      Delete
  10. Jane... So glad to see your post. Instagram with wonderful photos and witty snippets seem to satisfy the electronic craving! Could be that immediate gratification thing... FITH would be fun. Hurry, Spring!! Hope the fuel holds out..stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan, toasty warm...finally. And a 52degree day yesterday didn't hurt the spirits.

      Yes,come on Spring!

      Delete
  11. Sorry you are cold but happy for any reason that causes you to tip your toe back in here. xox.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What they said. I was really getting concerned, actually, so am very VERY glad to see you back here. Cheers, Diane in sunny, no snow today, Denver

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you are back online. I so enjoy your writing.


    ReplyDelete