Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Small World And All That Jazz


Well this is perplexing....where is my camera?

And am I allowed to write posts without pictures?

If a tree falls in a forest and no one hears it does it make a sound?
 

I could just hit publish and wait for answers but I will forge on ahead.

I have been busy hostessing.

If you are in University anywhere in the UK but mostly Cambridge and you are coming to Washington to do research, I guess you stay with me.

Every one seems to want "a proper room", not a hotel.. Once they get here they like to"go on a bit
of a wander". Everything about my house is "lovely". The cats are "gorgeous". And sometimes they want to go for a run but they have forgotten their "kit".

What more can an Anglophile want?

Cuppa? Don't worry someone is always making one.

The only problems that have arisen, and these are only problems for me, are sussing out peoples nationalities.

If you live in London and are a director at a hospital there, I think you will be English. But no, you turn out to be Irish.

If you say your place of residence is Berlin and you travel between there and Cambridge, I assume you are German. But I would be wrong, you are a Brit.

If you live in and study at Cambridge I assume you are British but no you're a German.

Geography has never been my strong point but I'm beginning to suspect there is a large international conspiracy to confuse me.

Have any of you heard about it in your homelands?

And if so assure "them" it is working.

These last two months have truly been my favorite time of airbnbing

I'm in thrall to the accents, the stories, the massive amounts of attention given to the cats. Who as you can imagine soak it all up shamelessly.

I shut down the inn at the end of October when B.(remember him) comes back from training and assumes his permanent position in the other bedroom. And hopefully at the grill.

But I have loved my months as an American Ambassador.

I've learned so much about other ways of life that it seems my world has exploded..

Since March I have hosted people from China, India ,Brazil, Australia,Cuba via Miami,one of the Stanzs, England, Canada and all parts of the USA.

Incredible experience. I recommend it highly. And to my friends' vast relief, appear to be coming through alive and unharmed, a little wealthier and a whole lot wiser.

 I have always been grateful for the kindness of strangers.









22 comments:

  1. Y'know, I really love these little slices of your life, Jane. And I'm happy that you've had such a wonderful experience doing you airbnb thing.
    Of course G and L are gorgeous - they'r cats! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think just that extra bit of gorgeous. Like any proud cat owner.

      Delete
  2. Ambassador indeed! (Did that sound British?) I'm calling the UN, you obviously know how to bring nationalities together. Sounds like a grand time, or as the Brits and Irish like to say "Brilliant" (We have a UK office and HR is Irish, I hear it all day long).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is HR from Northern Ireland? If so must be drinking him or her self into a stupor over NI win at Rugby today.

      It was a brilliant game, or so I've been told. (neighbor)

      Delete
    2. No, she is from Dublin. Cares nothing about sports and doesn't drink. I'm beginning to think she's faking the accent.

      Delete
  3. Heart warming and funny. Happy that you and greater Cambridge have discovered each other. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. And they're all flaming left wingers, know every nuance of American politics and discuss with great gusto.

      Then they remember they have work to do and scurry off to their room. Where Lucy awaits.

      Delete
  4. I'm thinking innkeeper is one of your 9 lives...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Have I use them all up yet? Maybe.

      Delete
    2. No way. Actually, you probably have more than 9. ;)

      Delete
  5. So glad your airbnb hosting has left you with great memories.
    I wonder if the cats will miss the stream of adoring new faces?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they will. They are thrilled each time a new person arrives. And they immediately turn them into willing slaves. Incorrigible.

      Delete
  6. There must be a great hostess in literature who is you. Who is it I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the only one who pops to mind is the witch in Hansel and Gretel. Ther's got to be a better example out there!

      Delete
    2. Madame de Stael, perhaps?
      I love the way they say everything cool is "brilliant" and that they were all flaming left-wingers. Yay!

      Delete
  7. I so look forward to each and every entry you make on your blog!
    I noticed that you follow "Sarah: One Day." Do you know what happened to her blog...it's gone. Enjoy a beautiful day :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you, inspiration to write more. And yes I did and have been wondering where she went.

      I asked her via another social media option and if I get a reply I will share it with you ASAP.

      Delete
  8. I'm trying my first airbnb soon - as a guest - with a family in London who are fairly new to it. Hope it's as nice as yours sounds! ('Nice' is v. British, yes? Did you hear it a lot?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard it , wish it was from your lips.

      You'll have to let me/us know how you enjoyed your lodging.

      Though I guess you'll have to squeeze it inbetween baby photo.

      Delete
  9. Smile... I am British/German but have lived most of my life in Switzerland, first in the French-speaking part (hello Mme de Staƫl! nOw she had a very pretty home, too...) and then in the German-speaking part, married to a Swiss who is 3/4 German but his half-German father grew up in the Italian-speaking part... are you keeping up, here?!
    Having attended an international school with kids from 85 different nations, it's what I call normal lol!

    ReplyDelete