Saturday, April 27, 2013

A Progress Report

I'm feeling grateful tonight.

Slowly but steadily I'm getting into the rhythm of "living solo", as my blogworld friend Diane suggests I call my new life.

Spring has helped greatly.

The sun comes up early and I awake to birds chirping, Lucy snuggled up to me purring and Gus watching us both from the bottom of the bed. Much nicer than an alarm clock.

I make my espresso and glass in hand take a stroll around the garden.

I admire the new growth and make a mental note of what needs to be done later.

Later means another stroll, this time with both kittens leaping around me and eventually finds me on my knees doing what else but weeding. I give myself a 7:30 work curfew.

Or if it's Wednesday I'm working out with my faithful friend Rina who in a former incarnation was a trainer.  Former my ass, she's  killing me.

Then we sit in a cafe drinking coffee and solving the problems of the world, well our worlds.

On Thursday I go to Zumba with my neighbor Rachel. We're in a groove now but that first night was a stretch. It was 85 degrees out, 95 in, my fingertips were swollen and pulsing as my body tried to cool down. I was positive I was having a heart attack. I looked around the room and yep, I was the oldest shortest person there. And I was pretty sure Rachel didn't even know my last name.

But I survived. And every week has gotten, if not easier, much more fun.

Friday, the garden. Saturday, work and more garden with some time with friends and neighbors.

Sunday I will have another group of friends to dinner.

And with me, if I'm cooking, all is right in the world.

At the end of the day I take a bath, ice my shoulder and do a 100 situps. Then, as directed, I text my friend Rina "done". Truthfully, that text is not sent every night.

And then I go out on my little back deck.

I don't look down at the nails that need to be replaced or the stain that needs to be redone. I try to ignore the lights from the hotel shining across the street.

I look up at the stars. And I feel relief that another day is done and I've taken care of myself and the kittens. We're all fed, the litter is clean and the house is filled with flowers.


It's been a bumpy few months, but with the help of friends, from real life and the internet, I'm coming back.

A little battered, a bit bruised, but kinder I think. Humbled. Though sometimes angry. That's all right too.

Of course there's always the lawn to worry about....









xo Jane




30 comments:

  1. Good and great progress news . . .
    Love the green in the vase . . . Love the vase too! BTW, what is the green and is the vase McCoy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The green is rosemary and the vase just says USA. So we'll never know....

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great to hear! Any sort of major life event brings on a change of routine, and it's good to see that you have made it a good one. Of course, having kittens helps immensely, IMO.

    Let's not talk about being old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I made the appropriate changes!

      Delete
  4. You sure are a busy gal. I'm duly impressed that you've kept up your physical activities. It's so easy to let those slide when something needs to give.

    Nothing better than morning kitty snuggles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "We're all fed, the litter is clean and the house is filled with flowers." That will be the title of your book?

    I'm with Steve--so impressed with how active you are (she says from her armchair) and morning kitty snuggles have become an essential part of my days too.

    Love the bristling Rosemary, Little Retreats, intriguing pottery picture--a little retreat in itself.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh jane i can so relate. that's all we really can do...take care of ourselves first. then according to everything i've read the rest takes care of itself. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you'll be the fittest singleton in your street, that's for sure! Glad you're holding it together. Rosemary is wonderful, isn't it? Love it. Abby x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.... I know exactly what you mean. Thank you for sharing your story with all of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is always good to hear you keeping walking forward. That's all we can do...stand up and put one foot in front of the other and keep plodding. Enjoy you weekend. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right foot, left foot, right foot, breathe. xo

      Delete
  10. Lovely writing my dear friend.

    So much is about the rituals, and the one foot in front of another. I recognize and admire your sheer competence in putting life back together. There's nothing else to do, but that doesn't mean you deserve any the fewer cheers. Waving and cheering from California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I gratefully accept the bells and whistles.

      Delete
  11. Anger's pretty good, actually.

    And rosemary is for remembrance.

    "Later" is really 7.30?

    As in, antemeridian?

    In awe.



    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh I hate to lose your respect but that would be postmeridian. Never thought I'd be writing that out in my life.

    Indeed you make my world bigger :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you've got a rhythm going - i thinkthat makes a big difference. This is such a busy time that there's lots to do "outside" while the healing goes on inside.xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy to see you finding such an abundance of good in your "new life". You, Jane, are a model of resilience.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Moving along and forward nicely, I would say. Keeping looking for the good and much gratitude will follow....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Progress indeed. All that's missing is having some of your blog-chums living nearer so that we can knock and say "Coming in for a cup of tea, Jane?" Wouldn't that be nice? And you'd love it here, although I doubt if anyone except the holiday camp security staff ever go to the gym.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've read this twice with a big smile on my face. You have a life! And a nice one at that. I'm happy for you, and I can smell that rosemary, hmmmm! Oh, and I made lasagna last night...you know the one. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Two thoughts:

    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right" (ford)

    and

    "Age doesn't matter unless you are a cheese" ( unknown)

    Looks like you are making strides that are moving you forward.
    That's REALLY hard after a life changing event. Well done.

    What we we do without our gardens and our animal kids?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy to hear you are feeling better Jane. I did not realise you had such difficult months. I hope the coming months will be full of peace and joy! Take care!!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Positive steps Jane! I'm sure it's still not easy but keeping busy helps while time heals x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy you're so busy.. have a great week Jane :) Xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kinder and humbler can only be good, eh? And we learn from the pain, Jane, that's not just a cliche. Thanks for the mention -- and for embracing the concept with such vivacity and zest! Happily solo and very connected here,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  23. p.s., finally warm and sunny here-- hands in the ground, with joy and gratitude. loved the rosemary in the vase but I want to grab it and cook with it! great comments, too.
    Dirty-handsily yours, peace be with you always, D.

    ReplyDelete